USE OF AUTOMATED EXTERNAL DEFIBRILLATOR(S)
The Rochester School Department has acquired/purchased an Automatic External Defibrillator(s) (AED) for use in emergency situations warranting its use. The use/administration/maintenance of the AED is subject to the following conditions:
1. Liability Limited – The District, and persons administering the AED(s), shall enjoy the limitations of liability as specified in RSA 153:A-31, as well as other sources of law.
2. Location of the AED(s) – The Superintendent, working with the building principal and school nurse, shall select and approve the location(s) for the AED(s).
3. Registration of AED(s) – In accordance with RSA 153-A:33, the School Nurse within the building, or his/her designee, shall register the AED(s) with the New Hampshire Department of Safety. Registration forms are found at the New Hampshire Department of Safety Website, www.state.nh.us/safety/ems/.
4. Maintenance – The School Nurse within the building, or his/her designee, will monitor AED(s). Maintenance shall be done according to the AED manufacturer’s specifications. The School Nurse will maintain a record of all maintenance that has been performed on the AED(s). The School Nurse will maintain a log of weekly checks.
5. Authorized Employees/Training of Users – AEDs will usually be administered by those employees designated by the Principal, in consultation with the school nurse. Employees will only be authorized after they have successfully received and completed appropriate training in cardiopulmonary resuscitation and AED use, provided by certified CPR/AED instructors.
It is understood that any visitors or staff may use the AED to the best of their ability regardless of their participation in a formal training program.
6. Incident Reporting – An AED incident report and quality improvement form will be submitted to the Medical Director whenever the device is utilized.
The School Nurse within the building, or his/her designee, is encouraged to report instances of AED use with the New Hampshire Department of Safety. Use incident report forms found at the New Hampshire Department of Safety Website, www.state.nh.us/safety/ems/.
AED USE PROCEDURES & GUIDELINES:
The Rochester School District (District) established the following guidelines for the operation of AED devices provided in District Facilities:
Use of AED(s) – Under
state law, ANY individual is encouraged to utilize an AED when there is a possible
cardiac arrest patient.
2. Incidents – Whenever there is a possible cardiac arrest incident, the following actions need to be instituted immediately:
Emergency Medical Services (EMS) notification
Ø Send an individual to obtain the nearest AED
Ø Notify building medical personnel
Ø Identify incident location for responding emergency personnel
Ø Upon arrival of EMS personnel, assist as directed
3. Post Incident – The following steps will be taken:
Ø Ensure the AED device utilized is placed back in-service as soon as possible
Ø Inform School Nurse within the building, or designee, of incident as soon as possible
Incident Report & Quality Improvement Form”, and submit to the
School Nurse who will forward a copy to the NH Bureau of Emergency Medical
Ø Promote use of District counseling services for individuals involved in the incident as appropriate
4. Medical Oversight for the Rochester School District AED(s), has been secured from Frisbie Hospital EMS Medical Director. Frisbie Hospital EMS and Medical Director will regularly be made aware of any significant events, and all training activities. The Medical Director may be reached by calling: (603) 332-5211, ext 4020.
Ø The District will provide a list of trained staff
Ø A Schedule of Equipment Maintenance will be provided
Ø Frisbie Hospital EMS Medical Director will review the incident Reports of AED use, and assist the Response Team with quality improvement
Statutory/Regulatory/Policy Cross References
RSA 153-A:28-33, Automated External Defibrillation Further Information:
Policy EBBB, Accident Reports
Board Review: January 13, 2009
Amended: March 11, 2010