Fire drills shall be scheduled by the Principal each month during the school year. The purpose of a fire drill is to train students, under staff direction, to move safely, quickly, and quietly from any location within the building to an assigned evacuation area outside.
All schools will comply with the following rules and procedures:
1. Rules for fire evacuation will be posted in each room. These rules will indicate the primary and alternate exits and the evacuation area to which the student should proceed upon leaving the building. The posted rules will be discussed with each class using the room, during the first day(s) of the school year.
2. A district fire alarm signal will be used for fire drills only; another signal will be established by the Principal for return to class.
3. No person is to remain in the building during fire drills.
4. Evacuation areas will be at least 50 feet (100 feet, if possible) away from buildings and out of driveways.
5. It is each student's responsibility to move quickly, quietly, and in an orderly manner through the assigned exit to the assigned evacuation area.
6. The teacher will be responsible for:
a. Seeing that windows are closed.
b. Assuring that electrical circuits and gas jets are turned off.
c. Maintaining order during the evacuation.
d. Assigning students to hold the doors open, if their group is the first to evacuate from such doors; and instructing students holding doors to rejoin the class after the last person has passed through the doors.
e. Taking the roll book and checking roll when the class is in the assigned evaluation area. The name of any student not accounted for will be reported immediately to the Principal or his/her designee.
7. The exercise will be observed by thePprincipal.
Adopted: April 8, 1993
Board Review/Approved: November 13, 2008
Amended: November 10, 2010